Saturday, February 4

Why this?

I got some heavy criticism from a blog reader yesterday saying that I’m too cynical, that anyone can write such negative stuff, and suggesting that I “go home”. That critic was answered by another saying how, in my writing, she sees just how much I love Greece. And for anyone else out there who can’t get my style or read between thre lines, let me repeat that. I love Greece.
But it just happens I’m a believer in not sitting still and saying nothing.
In using the power of words to engage the brain.
In love not being blind.

And, coincidentally, when I saw on another blog about googlefight, I linked to it, and I started to fight England vs. Greece. (As a half and half Brit-Greek, I’m not sure which answers I favoured, though).
In googlefighting the phrase “English beauracracy vs. Greek beauracracy” Greece got 1.990 hits vs England’s 17.200. What does that tell us?
Is England more beauracratic? I don’t believe so. Do they talk about it more? Yes, they do, because it’s not accepted. There is much wrong with Britian today, and too many Brits are too passive about it, but institutionalised beauracracy and blatant corruption isn’t part of it. And I guess that’s part of the nub of the Greek problem – beauracracy is institutionalised and corruption is largely accepted. It’s not being bitched about enough. Passive acceptance of a status quo is a dangerous thing – think about the many obvious historical examples. Change, improvement, doing things differently, comes from within. Within an individual or within a family or within a group or within a populace or within a race. One can influence any change by talking, discussing, writing, voting or marching on the streets about it. I can’t vote, I doubt if marching down through my The Village will get much positive attention, and so I choose to write about it.
With some humour. I hope.

That brings me to another point. As Greece ‘modernises’ (an over abused word) and morphs into a more Northern European type country - more credit, higher living standards, improved working conditions, more freedom of labour and capital, more service than manufacturing economy, with it will come the very conditions that has lost their northern european counterparts their soul and spirit and values and, in the case of Britian (I can’t speak for the other countries as I don’t know them well enough) has now tilted them too far over into a pc-correct, litigious, credit-laden, often violent, society. That will be a terrible thing for Greece, and Greeks. For all its current faults, where it’s at now is a far better place than where it may get to. How the changes can take place without taking on the downside baggage, I don’t know. It seems to me that, sadly but inevitably, you don’t get one without the other.

Finally, discussing passiveness, take my dear Mother as an example. As a Greek she’s lived in England for some 50 plus years. Passive, she’s not. Hardly a week goes by without her firing off a letter of opinion, complaint or critique to Blair, his cronies, the press, the broadcasters, the Queen, and others. OK, it doesn’t make a difference and I doubt if Blair quakes at the mention of her name. But not only does she feel better about it, she is fulfilling not only her right but her responsibility to be involved.
Maybe I get it from her, but when I see blatant curruption or ridiculous beauracracy – in the same way as when I experience poor service or rudeness - I have to do, or say, something about it.
That’s everyone’s responsibility.








1 Comments:

Blogger The SeaWitch said...

This is your blog. Your own space. Criticise away. You pay taxes. There's no need for you to go "home". Home is where you pay your taxes, work and live. Greece is home to you now. Besides, criticism keeps the govt. on its toes.

I'm enjoying your blog immensely. If it were all puppies, knitting and quiche recipes, I'd have clicked out long ago. LOL

Time to blogroll you now.

06 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home