Tuesday, January 3

I chose to live here

I was returning for my first Xmas back in the UK when why top lip split open. Why? I guess I was smiling so much, and the next thing was, blood was all over my luggage and coat.

As I was trying to staunch the flow with my hand, my mobile rang. It was a friend from London. I told him I couldn't talk right then as I was haemmorrhaging.

'Your life is so complicated, so much drama' he sighed.

So much drama? So complicated? I know! I know! Please, it's called Having A Life.

There are 3 types of person in the world.
Dead.
Alive, Dull and Easy.
Difficult, Dramatic and Intruiging.

I just happen to be the last. A DDI man. And without much effort, really.

So when someone asks me 'How's Greece?' my reply will be 'How long can you talk for?'
When they say 'What's the problem?' I'll reply with a full analysis of it, or ask which problem do they want to hear about. What's the use of a problem if you can't share it?
Sometimes, life can be shitty, and what's the point of pretending otherwise?
Sometimes drama gets in the way, like the ghastly looking mark on the left hand side of my chest, the worry- me - stupid - for - days - thinking - cancer type mark that consequently turned out, in the doctors surgery after I'd plucked up enough courage to go and see him, to merely be a ink stain from my broken fountain pen in my inside jacket pocket.

There's nothing worse than someone who says 'I can't complain'. It just 'aint normal. They aren't normal. Who are these people? Do they hibernate until they meet a friend?
When a doctor tells me I've checked out OK, I'll ask Why? or at least ask him if he's Sure?

So when my friends in England say to me 'You're so lucky to be living in Greece' or 'What's the problem?' or 'You should live my life!' I'll look at them, take an exasperated deep breath, and launch into a dissertation of what's happened and why in the intervening months since I last saw them.

It's not that I want their life. Some hardly move from their house. Or their workplace. Or remove their heads from within their posterior. My dramas and problems are living, breathing, life - type problems that make me rich in experience, rich in personality, rich in interest and rich in intrigue and rich in stress and anchos. And, I chose to live here, and choose to stay.

But what's rich and intriguing to some people can be annoying and dull to others. So I'll probably end up dying alone. And the Greek's intuitively understand and respond to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home